Sunday, February 3, 2013


Drawing a cartoon's skeleton probably isn't the first thing on most peoples' minds when they think of an art class -- they might think, "oh, cool, a bunch of high school kids painting pretty pictures!" The thing about drawing a skeleton is that it make you think; you have to really look at the bones and, as Ms. Rossi explains it, draw what you see instead of what you think you see. Drawing a cartoon skeleton is taking it one step further -- not only do you have to imagine what the skeleton should look like, you have to exaggerate the bones to fit that image. I chose Tod from The Fox and The Hound. (Tod is the fox, and I used a baby picture of him.) I was hoping I'd have to exaggerate a lot for this, but unlike some of the characters that had enormous heads or elephant feet, Tod is pretty proportional. I mostly had to exaggerate the shape of his bones, like his head and paws. The most exaggerated feature proportionally are his huge eyes (so cute!). The hardest part by far was figuring out how to draw his hips when his legs were all folded up like that. I figured it out, but I still think the angle at which I drew his legs could be improved. Overall, I really like how he turned out and I'm very happy with the final drawing! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment